The story of Heythrop Park
1700. Charles Talbot, Duke of Shrewsbury, decamps to Rome for five years where he marries Countess Adelhida Paleotti (Adelaide).
1705. Returning to the UK, the couple seek to build a grand palace at Heythrop in the Italian Baroque style. They hire Thomas Archer as principal architect, also just back from studying in Italy.
1710. Francis Smith of Warwick finishes most of the work on the house.
1718. Talbot dies and the estate is passed between successive Earls of Shrewsbury.
1831. Fire guts the building. The ornate stuccos, tapestries and sculptures are gone forever.
1870. The house sits as an empty shell until railway engineer Thomas Brassey hands the keys to his son Albert as a wedding gift. He hires notable Gothic revivalist Alfred Waterhouse to lead the redesign.
1923. The house becomes a Jesuit College.
1969. National Westminster Bank turns it into a training and conference centre.
1999. Oxford millionaire Firoz Kassam buys the estate for £15m and it opens as a Crowne Plaza Hotel.
2018. Warner takes over the estate, ready to refurbish it with respect to its heritage but also transform it into hotel filled with contemporary comfort.
2022. The big reveal.